Bug 6259 - scrolling problem since update to Firefox 41
: scrolling problem since update to Firefox 41
Status: CONFIRMED
Product: Desktop Bugs
Classification: ROSA Desktop
Component: Main Packages
: Fresh
: All Linux
: Normal normal
: ---
Assigned To: ROSA Linux Bugs
: ROSA Linux Bugs
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2015-10-07 23:38 MSD by Sylvainsjc
Modified: 2015-12-28 20:36 MSK (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
RPM Package: firefox-41.0.1-1-rosa2014.1
ISO-related:
Bad POT generating:
Upstream:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Sylvainsjc 2015-10-07 23:38:14 MSD
Hi,
Since last update, I (and others) have this problem.
When one right clicks somewhere on the up or down of the vertical scrollbar, instead of scrolling one page, it goes directly to the page in front of the cursor

[sylvain@ThinkPad-R61 ~]$ rpm -qa | egrep -i 'firefox|xul'
libxulrunner31.0-31.0-2-rosa2014.1.i586
xulrunner-31.0-2-rosa2014.1.i586
firefox-41.0.1-1-rosa2014.1.i586
firefox-fr-41.0.1-1-rosa2014.1.noarch
firefox-en_GB-41.0.1-1-rosa2014.1.noarch
Comment 1 Vladimir Potapov 2015-10-08 09:12:48 MSD
Please, set up updated gtk+ for fix the issue  (in main|updates)
Comment 2 Sylvainsjc 2015-10-08 23:27:57 MSD
I haven't seen gtk+ update this evening 

Do you mean this gtk+ version ?

gtk+3.0-common-3.12.2-9-rosa2014.1.noarch
gtk+3.0-3.12.2-9-rosa2014.1.i586

It doesn't work with it
Comment 3 Vladimir Potapov 2015-10-09 05:34:25 MSD
(In reply to comment #2)
> I haven't seen gtk+ update this evening 
> 
> Do you mean this gtk+ version ?
> 
> gtk+3.0-common-3.12.2-9-rosa2014.1.noarch
> gtk+3.0-3.12.2-9-rosa2014.1.i586
> 
> It doesn't work with it
Hmm.. This is another bug...
Since firefox 41 we assemble it with GTK3 (like Fedora). 
Could you check whether this error is present in the latest builds of Fedora?
Comment 4 Sylvainsjc 2015-10-09 10:48:08 MSD
(In reply to comment #3)

> Hmm.. This is another bug...
> Since firefox 41 we assemble it with GTK3 (like Fedora). 
> Could you check whether this error is present in the latest builds of Fedora?

Difficult for me...
I think all ROSA users also experience this problem no ?
I have this behavior on my 2 PC (Desktop and Laptop).
I also have it on ROSA R6 installed on VirtualBox
Users also report this problem on the french forum.

For me the workaround is to open systemsettings, go to "Application appearance" then "GTK" and in front of "Select a GTK3 Theme" select "Oxygen-gtk" instead of "rosa-elementary"
Comment 5 Sylvainsjc 2015-10-11 22:35:57 MSD
I just found that Gnome GTK devs changed the mode and scrolling between GTK2 and GTK3.

In GTK3 they have changed it to work like this : 
left-click = scroll to hire
middle-clicked click = No Action
right- click = page up / page down

So to summarize:
- With all the applications, I can scroll pages with a left click in the scrollbar.
- With Firefox, I must use the right click 

What inconsistency !!!
Comment 6 Eugene Budanov 2015-12-24 00:05:35 MSK
(In reply to comment #5)
> I just found that Gnome GTK devs changed the mode and scrolling between GTK2
> and GTK3.
> 
> In GTK3 they have changed it to work like this : 
> left-click = scroll to hire
> middle-clicked click = No Action
> right- click = page up / page down
> 
> So to summarize:
> - With all the applications, I can scroll pages with a left click in the
> scrollbar.
> - With Firefox, I must use the right click 
> 
> What inconsistency !!!

After latest update of GTK+ I can scroll Firefox with left key mouse pressed too. But! This problem is appears when open any fullscreen GTK+3 application. For example DeaDBeeF player. To fix this — need to minimize Firefox window and maximize it again.
Comment 7 Eugene Budanov 2015-12-24 00:07:41 MSK
Sorry, problem apperar not only after opened in fullscreen GTK3+ apps. After Qt apps too.
Comment 8 Eugene Budanov 2015-12-28 00:56:35 MSK
Problem was solved for me in Firefox 43.
Comment 9 Sylvainsjc 2015-12-28 20:36:36 MSK
Problem still present for me with ROSA R6 up to date with Firefox 43 

Firefox in fullscreen : right click somewhere up or down of the vertical scrollbar, instead of scrolling one page, it goes directly to the page in front of the cursor

Firefox not in fullscreen : right click scroll normally one page by click

Firefox 43 in Linux Mint 17.3 : right click scroll normally one page by click