ROSA Linux Bugzilla – Bug 5456
libuser security vulnerability (CVE-2015-3245, CVE-2015-3246).
Last modified: 2016-12-12 01:16:07 MSK
libuser has had a bugfix released
* Python 3 is now supported. Consistent with the Python 3 C API and its prevailing usage, only UTF-8 locales work. Note that importing libuser in non-UTF-8 locales will fail in Python 3.
* The Python extension now requires Python 2.7.
* Translations are now maintained in https://fedora.zanata.org/ .
* tests/fs_test can be edited to truly perform operations as root, without fakeroot.
* sgml2txt is no longer required for building from the released tarball.
* Miscellaneous bug fixes and cleanups, primarily in the Python extension.
Two flaws were found in the way the libuser library handled the
/etc/passwd file. A local attacker could use an application compiled
against libuser (for example, userhelper) to manipulate the /etc/passwd
file, which could result in a denial of service or possibly allow the
attacker to escalate their privileges to root (CVE-2015-3245,
Our current libuser if free of these issues.