Bug 3788 - Can not setup RDS for the first time on ROSA Server 6.5
: Can not setup RDS for the first time on ROSA Server 6.5
Status: IN_PROGRESS
Product: Server Bugs
Classification: ROSA Server
Component: Main Packages
: unspecified
: x86_64 Linux
: Highest blocker
: ---
Assigned To: Andrew Lukoshko
: ROSA Server Bugs
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2014-02-19 17:46 MSK by Marcilio de Carvalho
Modified: 2015-02-28 20:31 MSK (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
RPM Package:
ISO-related:
Bad POT generating:
Upstream:


Attachments
Arquivo de log /var/log/messages (276.14 KB, application/octet-stream)
2014-02-25 19:06 MSK, Marcilio de Carvalho
Details
Arquivo /var/log/mss-agent.log (26.33 KB, text/x-log)
2014-02-25 19:15 MSK, Marcilio de Carvalho
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Marcilio de Carvalho 2014-02-19 17:46:58 MSK
I am trying to setup RDS for the first time on ROSA 6.5 but when is the time for the system to configure RDS it gives an error with various error messages, i think the main one is:

Host server.domain is already present in an external network

I thought that the cause whas because I was using only one NIC, so I installed a new one. But also with two NICs the system stops with the same error message.

I use Mandriva Directory Server for more then five years and I have never seen an error like that, that makes the MDS setup impossible to be finished.
Comment 1 Eugene Budanov 2014-02-19 17:53:52 MSK
Can you tell how you install RDS step by step?
Comment 2 Marcilio de Carvalho 2014-02-19 18:16:45 MSK
First of all I installed two NICs, one for the internet at 192.168.122.0 network and the other for internal at 10.0.0.0 network;

I configured an apropriate hostname for my server, like server.domain.com;

After that I called ROSA Server Setup icon at Desktop, acepted the secure 
certificate and was able to login at;

Then I used root password to log in and clicked in Rosa Directory Server button;

I checked only RDS main components option and clicked the  Install components button below and afterwords the Continue button. After that the system told me the instalation was OK and I clicked the Continue button;

At RDS main components configuration screen I tried to mantaing everything at a default level, writing only at RDS domain and password boxes. Unfortunately IP Address dropdown menu shows me nothing, so I clicked the Continue button below;

Now the system asked me to click the Execute configuration button. After that the system returns with the following error messages:

The configuation failed.
CONFIGURATION ERRORS

Test of the current host FQDN has been finished with errors

Host servidor.parbem.com is already present in an external network

FQDN for the current host can be changed e.g. via editing records in /etc/hosts file

And that's all, I can not continue from here.
Comment 3 Eugene Budanov 2014-02-24 12:52:11 MSK
Sorry for long answer.

First of all. What hostname you set during RELS installation? I.e. localhost.localdomain or changing it to another (like server.domain.com)? And which way you change server hostname? By editing /etc/hostname or /ets/sysconfig/network? Can you show hostname -f command output _before_ installation? 

If I understand correctly, you want to install RELS in existing domain in your LAN? 

What server role you choose? Mail server? DHCP, etc?
Comment 4 Eugene Budanov 2014-02-24 12:53:45 MSK
>And which way you change server hostname? By editing /etc/hostname or /ets/sysconfig/network? 

I mean if you change server hostname after installation.
Comment 5 Marcilio de Carvalho 2014-02-24 19:21:28 MSK
I have tried both options - using localhost.localdomain and determining a new name dot domain: server.centos.ds
I modified localhost.localdomain hostname during Rose Server installation process.
I chose Standard Rosa Server, as recommended during the installation.

(In reply to comment #3)
> Sorry for long answer.
> 
> First of all. What hostname you set during RELS installation? I.e.
> localhost.localdomain or changing it to another (like server.domain.com)?
> And which way you change server hostname? By editing /etc/hostname or
> /ets/sysconfig/network? Can you show hostname -f command output _before_
> installation? 
> 
> If I understand correctly, you want to install RELS in existing domain in
> your LAN? 
> 
> What server role you choose? Mail server? DHCP, etc?
Comment 6 Eugene Budanov 2014-02-24 19:49:30 MSK
Thanks for answer but you forgot to answer a question about choosed server role. I need to understand which configuration and components of ROSA Directory Server failed during install.
Comment 7 Marcilio de Carvalho 2014-02-24 19:57:57 MSK
(In reply to comment #6)
> Thanks for answer but you forgot to answer a question about choosed server
> role. I need to understand which configuration and components of ROSA
> Directory Server failed during install.

I answered that in my last post, but you can see below:

"I chose Standard ROSA Server, as recomended during the installation."

That was the instalation profile I chose - ROSA Standard Server
Isn't it what you have asked before?
Comment 8 Eugene Budanov 2014-02-24 21:03:36 MSK
(In reply to comment #7)
> (In reply to comment #6)
> > Thanks for answer but you forgot to answer a question about choosed server
> > role. I need to understand which configuration and components of ROSA
> > Directory Server failed during install.
> 
> I answered that in my last post, but you can see below:
> 
> "I chose Standard ROSA Server, as recomended during the installation."
> 
> That was the instalation profile I chose - ROSA Standard Server
> Isn't it what you have asked before?

I mean components on this page https://localhost:8000/mss/sections/mds/
Comment 9 Marcilio de Carvalho 2014-02-24 21:49:31 MSK
(In reply to comment #8)
> (In reply to comment #7)
> > (In reply to comment #6)
> > > Thanks for answer but you forgot to answer a question about choosed server
> > > role. I need to understand which configuration and components of ROSA
> > > Directory Server failed during install.
> > 
> > I answered that in my last post, but you can see below:
> > 
> > "I chose Standard ROSA Server, as recomended during the installation."
> > 
> > That was the instalation profile I chose - ROSA Standard Server
> > Isn't it what you have asked before?
> 
> I mean components on this page https://localhost:8000/mss/sections/mds/

Perfect, now I understood!
I tried a lot of pool of options, but I too tried only:

ROSA Directory Server -> RDS main components

And that failed the same way.
Comment 10 Eugene Budanov 2014-02-25 12:24:15 MSK
In first message you wrote: «…when is the time for the system to configure RDS it gives an error with various error messages, i think the main one is:

Host server.domain is already present in an external network» 

I forgot to ask you. 
1. Some server.domain is existed before RELS installation in your LAN? F.ex: you shut down old server.domain and then you install RELS with same name. If you answer to this "yes" — try to install RDS with unique name. 
2. When you installed RELS which repositories you have connected? Main only? Or anything else? Just for test — install RELS with all repos on. Or after installation do "yum update" and check that base, contrib and extra repos is on.
Comment 11 Marcilio de Carvalho 2014-02-25 14:30:03 MSK
For this scenario I configured a two PCs local area, one is the ROSA Server and the other is the workstation.
I tried the RDS setup after an upgrade of the server with all ROSA repositories enabled.
The system continues to act as when I started this bug alert:

1 - First of all it says that hostname -f returns nothing and that I need to configure it at /etc/hosts file;
2 - When I setup in /etc/hosts file as the wizard told me to do and asks it to setup RDS again then it returns the message that says that my ROSA Server FQDN already exists in an external network.
Comment 12 Eugene Budanov 2014-02-25 15:55:26 MSK
> 1 - First of all it says that hostname -f returns nothing and that I need to
> configure it at /etc/hosts file;
> 2 - When I setup in /etc/hosts file as the wizard told me to do and asks it
> to setup RDS again then it returns the message that says that my ROSA Server
> FQDN already exists in an external network.

Ok. I understand your problem. Looks. 

In RELS 6.5 you don't need a changing name by editing config file. Even you install RELS as localhost.localdomain, you can change server name during RDS deploy. But as I say before — use unique name (and don't forget to update system before RSS Wizard run). If you changed server hostname manually, look at /etc/hosts. File should looks like:

#less /etc/hosts
192.168.100.1 server server.com

Commands output:
#hostname
server

#hostname -f
server.com


In this case installation process will run without problems. But if you will plan to install RDS with pre-configured hostname (f.ex if you edited hosts file before install) don't forget to _uncheck_ checkbox "Set hostname". RDS domain name must be same as server hostname which you configure before installation. 

But I don't recommend edit files manually. Just use RSS (ROSA Server Setup) wizard. 

I hope it will help you.
Comment 13 Marcilio de Carvalho 2014-02-25 16:31:02 MSK
(In reply to comment #8)
> (In reply to comment #7)
> > (In reply to comment #6)
> > > Thanks for answer but you forgot to answer a question about choosed server
> > > role. I need to understand which configuration and components of ROSA
> > > Directory Server failed during install.
> > 
> > I answered that in my last post, but you can see below:
> > 
> > "I chose Standard ROSA Server, as recomended during the installation."
> > 
> > That was the instalation profile I chose - ROSA Standard Server
> > Isn't it what you have asked before?
> 
> I mean components on this page https://localhost:8000/mss/sections/mds/

Perfect, now I understood!
I tried a lot of pool of options, but I too tried only:

ROSA Directory Server -> RDS main components

And that failed the same way.

(In reply to comment #12)
> > 1 - First of all it says that hostname -f returns nothing and that I need to
> > configure it at /etc/hosts file;
> > 2 - When I setup in /etc/hosts file as the wizard told me to do and asks it
> > to setup RDS again then it returns the message that says that my ROSA Server
> > FQDN already exists in an external network.
> 
> Ok. I understand your problem. Looks. 
> 
> In RELS 6.5 you don't need a changing name by editing config file. Even you
> install RELS as localhost.localdomain, you can change server name during RDS
> deploy. But as I say before — use unique name (and don't forget to update
> system before RSS Wizard run). If you changed server hostname manually, look
> at /etc/hosts. File should looks like:
> 
> #less /etc/hosts
> 192.168.100.1 server server.com
> 
> Commands output:
> #hostname
> server
> 
> #hostname -f
> server.com
> 
> 
> In this case installation process will run without problems. But if you will
> plan to install RDS with pre-configured hostname (f.ex if you edited hosts
> file before install) don't forget to _uncheck_ checkbox "Set hostname". RDS
> domain name must be same as server hostname which you configure before
> installation. 
> 
> But I don't recommend edit files manually. Just use RSS (ROSA Server Setup)
> wizard. 
> 
> I hope it will help you.

Eugene, I just tried to use RSS wizard defaults as long as I could.
One thing I have noticed that I think can help you to diagnose the bug is that:

1 - In RDS main components setup, the IP Address dropdown menu does not show any IP address, it is empty. Isn't it the problem? I have noticed that RSS wizard writes into /etc/hosts file, but it only appends the hostname, with no IP inside;

2 - I did the sugestion you made editing the file /etc/hosts, but it only works well for me with IP + FQDN + Alias file's sintaxe, as 10.0.0.1 server.centos.ds server;

3 - My /etc/sysconfig/network file has HOSTNAME=server in it;

4 - Wen i write hostname I receive server as result and when i write hostname -f I receive server.centos.ds as tresult, so I think these are ok.

But the error message from the RSS wizard is still the same, take a look at the log:

Test of the current host FQDN has been finished with errors
Host server.centos.ds is already present in an external network
FQDN for the current host can be changed e.g. via editing records in /etc/hosts 
file

Any sugestions?
Comment 14 Eugene Budanov 2014-02-25 18:41:45 MSK
>I just tried to use RSS wizard defaults as long as I could.
On same machine with same OS or you reinstalled it? 

>the IP Address dropdown menu does not show any IP
That's really problem. I try to understand what problem with ip detection. 

Can you attach logs? I need /var/log/messages and all logs in /var/log/mss/* after failed installation procedure?
Comment 15 Marcilio de Carvalho 2014-02-25 19:06:07 MSK
Created attachment 2675 [details]
Arquivo de log /var/log/messages
Comment 16 Marcilio de Carvalho 2014-02-25 19:15:51 MSK
Created attachment 2676 [details]
Arquivo /var/log/mss-agent.log
Comment 17 Eugene Kanter 2015-02-28 20:31:58 MSK
This error comes from check_host_fqdn() located in

/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/mss/agent/modules/functions.sh

When actual IP address(es) don't match /etc/hosts.

For example, bring up a server on DHCP, then switch to another, static address later. In this scenario /etc/hosts may still contain original IP address.

Although error message does mention /etc/hosts the description of the error is not very clear.