Bug 3344 - Grub 2 Malfunctions
: Grub 2 Malfunctions
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME
Product: Desktop Bugs
Classification: ROSA Desktop
Component: Main Packages
: Fresh
: x86_64 Linux
: Normal normal
: ---
Assigned To: ROSA Linux Bugs
: ROSA Linux Bugs
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2013-12-04 17:04 MSK by andrea_scopelliti
Modified: 2015-01-21 15:49 MSK (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
RPM Package:
ISO-related:
Bad POT generating:
Upstream:


Attachments
grub.cfg (7.93 KB, application/octet-stream)
2013-12-04 17:04 MSK, andrea_scopelliti
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description andrea_scopelliti 2013-12-04 17:04:00 MSK
Created attachment 2359 [details]
grub.cfg

Description of problem:
Two malfunctions, may be correlated.

Trying to solve a problem with the installation of the nvidia-current driver, I installed a second time rosa fresh r2 over the preceding installation, but formatting all the involved partitions, so I expected the installed system to behave like a fresh installation. The system bears a UEFI bios.
This time, however the windows menu entry didn't work. The problem was that in the windows menu entry the path after the chain command was missing.
I tried to regenerate the config file through the grub2-mkconfig command, but, despite the shown output of the command was correct, the grub.cfg file was not updated, so I have been forced to manually update my grub.cfg file.
Moreover, now the grub option "set last booted entry as default" now works only on the rosa and on the advanced options entries, but not on the windows entry. If I boot in windows at next reboot grub defaults to the rosa menu entry.
Attached you will find my grub.cfg file, already patched in the windows entry.


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:


Steps to Reproduce:
1.
2.
3.
Comment 1 Aleksandr Kazantcev 2013-12-04 17:10:15 MSK
You need update grub2 on latest version (if you have EFI this is strongly need) and run. If you not see update, that mirrors still not sync.

update-grub2

Also notice that you need similar grub2.cfg in /boot/efi/EFI/rosa/ and on /boot/grub2/

We fix this in future package.
Comment 2 andrea_scopelliti 2013-12-07 07:05:05 MSK
playing with grub.cfg I noticed the following:

- grub2-mkconfig does not update grub.cfg, probably it is necessary to use the   --output=FILE option to actually update the file, but I didn't try.

- the grub boot options menu, reached through Kde Control Center, does update the grub.cfg file, but has problems with the windows boot menu: after the chainloader command the path is not written and the savedefault command is not added in that section.

- lastly, as far as I could understand, if edited manually, the grub.cfg file in EFI/rosa if edited manually causes some malfunctions that prevent windows to start: a "not such device root" error is generated and windows does not start.
The same modifications made on /boot/grub2/grub.cfg are accepted and at boot time that file is copied to /EFI/rosa
Comment 3 Aleksandr Kazantcev 2013-12-07 09:37:56 MSK
This is wrong, edit grub2.cfg directly - all your change will be lost in next grub update. You need change options in /etc/default/grub

We use Ubuntu/Debian way for change grub2 options, so you may use manual from this disro.
Comment 4 andrea_scopelliti 2013-12-07 17:35:53 MSK
(In reply to comment #3)
> This is wrong, edit grub2.cfg directly - all your change will be lost in
> next grub update. You need change options in /etc/default/grub
> 
> We use Ubuntu/Debian way for change grub2 options, so you may use manual
> from this disro.

Yes, I see, but the savedefault option is not added to the windows entry. I had to add it manually to /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
Comment 5 Denis Silakov 2014-11-20 16:40:24 MSK
Is this issue still valid for Desktop Fresh R4?
Comment 6 andrea_scopelliti 2014-11-20 17:44:51 MSK
No, now the system does generate the menu entry, even if update-grub2 reports that grub, or some of its components, is not able to handle windows partitions.
What is still present is the bug that prevents the addition of the savedefault command in the windows menuentry when you enable the "next booted entry will become default" option in the grub2 config menu.
One question, where can I pose requests to update packages: I'd like to have gscan2pdf updated as the supplied version id quite old and has problems with color scanning.
Another wish would be to have Rosa compatible with Draftsight, the only serious free cad program currently able to run in Linux, but I understand that this could be a hard task (only Fedora and Ubuntu are currently declared as compatible).
If f you point me out where, I'll pose such questions in the right place.
Comment 7 Denis Silakov 2014-11-20 18:05:50 MSK
(In reply to comment #6)
> Another wish would be to have Rosa compatible with Draftsight, the only
> serious free cad program currently able to run in Linux, but I understand
> that this could be a hard task (only Fedora and Ubuntu are currently
> declared as compatible).
> If f you point me out where, I'll pose such questions in the right place.

Have you tried to install rpm for Fedora in ROSA?
Comment 8 Konstantin Vlasov 2014-11-20 18:27:31 MSK
(In reply to comment #6)
> What is still present is the bug that prevents the addition of the
> savedefault command in the windows menuentry when you enable the "next
> booted entry will become default" option in the grub2 config menu.

Are you sure? I have fixed exactly this bug some time ago. Please, check what version of grub2 and grub2-efi you have: if it is lower than 2.00-62 then you should update your system, and this problem will be gone.
Comment 9 andrea_scopelliti 2014-11-20 18:33:42 MSK
(In reply to comment #7)
> (In reply to comment #6)
> > Another wish would be to have Rosa compatible with Draftsight, the only
> > serious free cad program currently able to run in Linux, but I understand
> > that this could be a hard task (only Fedora and Ubuntu are currently
> > declared as compatible).
> > If f you point me out where, I'll pose such questions in the right place.
> 
> Have you tried to install rpm for Fedora in ROSA?

Yes I did, but it claims there are some files missing and is not only a matter of dependencies and versions; there is least one file that is present only in fedora repos and that does not work in Rosa. Googling around I found that several other distributions share the same problem. If you want I can try to make another installation on a virtual machine (I already tried on my desktop so the report won't reflect a clean installation, as I solved some of the dependency problems).
Comment 10 Denis Silakov 2014-11-20 18:35:16 MSK
(In reply to comment #9)
> (In reply to comment #7)
> > (In reply to comment #6)
> > > Another wish would be to have Rosa compatible with Draftsight, the only
> > > serious free cad program currently able to run in Linux, but I understand
> > > that this could be a hard task (only Fedora and Ubuntu are currently
> > > declared as compatible).
> > > If f you point me out where, I'll pose such questions in the right place.
> > 
> > Have you tried to install rpm for Fedora in ROSA?
> 
> Yes I did, but it claims there are some files missing and is not only a
> matter of dependencies and versions; there is least one file that is present
> only in fedora repos and that does not work in Rosa. Googling around I found
> that several other distributions share the same problem. If you want I can
> try to make another installation on a virtual machine (I already tried on my
> desktop so the report won't reflect a clean installation, as I solved some
> of the dependency problems).

Thanks, no need. I will try it by myself.
Comment 11 andrea_scopelliti 2014-11-20 18:57:54 MSK
(In reply to comment #8)
> (In reply to comment #6)
> > What is still present is the bug that prevents the addition of the
> > savedefault command in the windows menuentry when you enable the "next
> > booted entry will become default" option in the grub2 config menu.
> 
> Are you sure? I have fixed exactly this bug some time ago. Please, check
> what version of grub2 and grub2-efi you have: if it is lower than 2.00-62
> then you should update your system, and this problem will be gone.

You guess you are right. I temporarily solved this problem by editing the 42_EFI file, to avoid editing at every kernel update (nicco produces them frequently and ech time they get better). Now, checking back, my edit is not more there, so probably there has been an update that I did not notice and did not cause the loss of the savedefault menu entry in windows as happened in the past.

If you want to totally clean out grub, a part the minor bug I pointed out about grub2 claiming itself as not able to manage windows partitions, there is anoter bug at installation with efi bioses. Rosa does not install if bios is set for windows operating systems. If the bios is set for other operating systems it installs, but reports as an error that the bios is set for other systems (I don't remember how microsoft calls such efi-bios option)
Comment 12 Konstantin Vlasov 2014-11-20 19:30:57 MSK
(In reply to comment #11)
> If you want to totally clean out grub, a part the minor bug I pointed out
> about grub2 claiming itself as not able to manage windows partitions, there
> is anoter bug at installation with efi bioses. Rosa does not install if bios
> is set for windows operating systems. If the bios is set for other operating
> systems it installs, but reports as an error that the bios is set for other
> systems (I don't remember how microsoft calls such efi-bios option)

Grub2 reporting about unsupported Windows is caused by one script (30_os-prober) which reports this about any system it did not recognize, while adding Windows was implemented in another, additional script (42_efi). I know it looks a bit strange that first you see message about not supporting Windows, and then - whoops! - here it is. But what actually happens is that Windows boot entries are in fact totally ignored, and instead of them a completely new entry is added, without original parameters, without original bootloader path, etc. If Microsoft changes anything, our "Windows" boot entry will fail (luckily, it had not happen yet). So it would not be fair to say that we used and processed the encountered Windows entry - we didn't.

Concerning your second report (about BIOS set for Windows) - please, report separate bugs separately, don't mix them all together.

Also, when creating bug, please, put in some more details. For example, I'm not sure what BIOS option you are talking about - some screenshots/photos will be helpful. And phrase "Rosa does not install" is not very helpful. Please, be more specific: what exactly do you get when you try to install ROSA? At what stage you experience problems, and what kind of problems exactly? (Error message, hanging system, corrupted image, emergency console?)
Comment 13 Denis Silakov 2014-11-21 12:08:05 MSK
(In reply to comment #9)
> (In reply to comment #7)
> > Have you tried to install rpm for Fedora in ROSA?
> 
> Yes I did, but it claims there are some files missing and is not only a
> matter of dependencies and versions; there is least one file that is present
> only in fedora repos and that does not work in Rosa.


Draftsight rpm is now available in non-free repository of ROSA Desktop Fresh R4 (32bit only). Please try it. If it doesn't work - please create a separate bug.
Comment 14 andrea_scopelliti 2014-11-21 20:24:48 MSK
(In reply to comment #13)
> (In reply to comment #9)
> > (In reply to comment #7)
> > > Have you tried to install rpm for Fedora in ROSA?
> > 
> > Yes I did, but it claims there are some files missing and is not only a
> > matter of dependencies and versions; there is least one file that is present
> > only in fedora repos and that does not work in Rosa.
> 
> 
> Draftsight rpm is now available in non-free repository of ROSA Desktop Fresh
> R4 (32bit only). Please try it. If it doesn't work - please create a
> separate bug.

Only one easy fix needed: The draftsight copy in usr/bin has not the executable bit set. Once set this attribute, draftsight started and, as far as I could see in few minutes, it works fine.

Thanks!!!!!
Comment 15 Denis Silakov 2014-11-22 18:30:31 MSK
(In reply to comment #14)

> Only one easy fix needed: The draftsight copy in usr/bin has not the
> executable bit set. 

Thanks, should be fixed now.
Comment 16 Denis Silakov 2015-01-21 15:49:49 MSK
It looks like we have a mess of different questions/problems here. At lease some of they were resolved, so let's mark the bug as 'worksforme'.

If you still experience some issues with grub2, feel free to open new bugs (and we highly recommend to use our latest release, Fresh R5).

In future, please create separate bugs for separate issues, this really simplifies our work.