ROSA Linux Bugzilla – Bug 221
unable to configure firewall, and wireless connections via ndiswrapper
Last modified: 2014-01-27 11:39:19 MSK
Description of problem:
1. The firewall is disabled by default, and I am not able to enable it even after going through the firewall setup. The setup confirms the firewall settings, but when I re-open the firewall manager, the firewall is disabled. I would very much prefer the firewall to be enabled - prevent security problems.
2. When trying to setup shared network connections, I get a message asking me to setup the firewall, but because the firewall does not start, I cannot proceed.
3. My primary issue is to connect to a wireless network:
- I have a wireless usb D-Link DWA-130c, that uses rt8192u driver (working in windows xp)
- I have installed the .inf file in ndiswrapper -> modprobe ndiswrapper -> service network restart
-- I am not able to configure the wireless interface with ndiswrapper
I am a bit of a novice with linux networking. I thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. open firewall manager in "configure my computer"
2. unselect "everything" (want full firewall), and press ok/next/complete
3. open firewall manager -> no firewall is enabled
Thanks for report. To calm you fear about security you system i'm say, that all change in firewall will appear, but some settings not correctly seen in GUI.
You may see
systemctl status shorewall.service
that it's run and works. We fix this error in future update.
For ndiswrapper - i think it's not needing. Try use
Place you Dlink in usb and give us output (from root)
(In reply to comment #1)
Thank you for the reply. The firewall status is enabled.
The output of the lsusb:
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bc2:5031 Seagate RSS LLC FreeAgent GoFlex USB 3.0
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 2001:3301 D-Link Corp. DWA-130 802.11n Wireless N Adapter(rev.C1) [Realtek RTL8192U]
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 045e:0730 Microsoft Corp.
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 05e3:0606 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 2.0 Hub / D-Link DUB-H4 USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 090c:037b Silicon Motion, Inc. - Taiwan (formerly Feiya Technology Corp.) Silicon Motion Camera
I suggest to discuss WiFi setup on forums and keep this report for drakfirewall.
Definitely a good suggestion. Is there a good forum for ROSA linux?
I don't know about a good one, but official forum is located at http://forum.rosalab.ru/. Its English section may be found at http://forum.rosalab.ru/en/viewforum.php?f=12.
I was able to setup the wireless via ndiswrapper
- blacklist r8192u_usb -> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-compat.conf
- alias wlan0 ndiswrapper -> /etc/modules.conf
- add 'ndiswrapper' -> /etc/modprobe.preload
Try add testing repo
and update drakx-net.
It will fix yous problem with drakfirewall.
For wlan maybe fix later.
Is bug still present?
(In reply to comment #8)
> Is bug still present?
I haven't used rosa in a few months. I will be getting back to using rosa in the next few days. Will let you know then. Thank you for following up.