ROSA Linux Bugzilla – Bug 215
Can not boot old kernel after the new was installed
Last modified: 2012-08-03 17:20:14 MSD
Description of problem:
I've installed ROSA Marathon 2012 32 Bit to the Lenovo G570 notebook with 4 GB RAM. After that, I tried to install new kernel with PAE support. After I installed it, I could not load system with the support of nonpae kernel.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install RM2012 32Bit.
2. Install PAE kernel (for example kernel-nrj-desktop686-pae).
3. Reboot and try to boot with the support of old kernel.
at least missing directory /lib/modules/<old-linux-modules>
i'll try to solve this problem·
(In reply to comment #1)
> at least missing directory /lib/modules/<old-linux-modules>
no, its content of wrong initrd
to be continued…
It problem for overwriting initramfs in initrd.img instead symlinked it.
New kernel erase old intird, becouse we using dracut -f command :(
I am not sure that it deletes old initramfs, as far as i know it is not deleted, just symlink is replaced.
(In reply to comment #3)
> It problem for overwriting initramfs in initrd.img instead symlinked it.
> New kernel erase old intird, becouse we using dracut -f command :(
as i see, after installing/removing package with linux, there is _bardak_ in /boot and /boot/grub/menu.lst
Created attachment 319 [details]
Possible patch for bootloader.pm
The reason of the original failure is that bootloader-config leaves '/boot/initrd.img' in menu.lst as initrd for old kernel, while '/boot/initrd.img' is a symlink pointing to the newly installed kernel.
The attached is a possible patch for /usr/lib/libDrakX/bootloader.pm (this file is from drakxtools). It makes installation/removal of kernel much more predictable for me, but it would be nice if someone else perform a thorough testing.
I am also not sure if this can affect creation of iso image...
1. initial setup creates /boot/initrd.img as file, not symlink
2. this causes problems in the infrastructure responsible for the linux installation/removal
3. i wrote a patch, which convert /boot/initrd.img to symlink: https://abf.rosalinux.ru/sash_kan/bootloader-utils/commit/1568c50d76147cf5eeafb5a637f6b851d859a44c
4. this patch will be required until iso-image creation will be fixed
this patch prevents the inability to load the old linux after installing the new one
************** Advisory ***************
This patch prevents the inability to load the old linux after installing the new one
*** Bug 75 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***