Bug 2039 - broadcom wl was updated for kernel 3.8 [UPDATE REQUEST]
: broadcom wl was updated for kernel 3.8 [UPDATE REQUEST]
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Product: Desktop Bugs
Classification: ROSA Desktop
Component: Main Packages
: Fresh
: All Linux
: Normal normal
: ---
Assigned To: ROSA Linux Bugs
: ROSA Linux Bugs
:
Depends on:
Blocks: 2009
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2013-05-23 14:07 MSD by Alexander Burmashev
Modified: 2013-05-27 14:46 MSD (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
RPM Package: broadcom-wl
ISO-related:
Bad POT generating:
Upstream:
vladimir.potapov: qa_verified+
alex.burmashev: published+


Attachments
sf(broadcom)32-64.zip (1.30 MB, application/zip)
2013-05-25 23:19 MSD, Postnikov Dmitry
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Alexander Burmashev 2013-05-23 14:07:06 MSD
broadcom wl was updated for kernel 3.8 [UPDATE REQUEST]
Comment 1 Alexander Burmashev 2013-05-23 14:14:31 MSD
Advisory:
broadcom-wl was updated in order to be compatible with kernel 3.8

buildlists:
https://abf.rosalinux.ru/build_lists/1108400
https://abf.rosalinux.ru/build_lists/1108401
Comment 2 Vladimir Potapov 2013-05-24 05:57:26 MSD
http://bugs.rosalinux.ru/show_bug.cgi?id=2009#c24
Broadcom module don't work :-(
Comment 3 Alexander Burmashev 2013-05-24 13:26:10 MSD
Well, unfortunately there is no additional info about this module in that bug, so i will need it here.
I need a 
/var/log/dmesg
/var/log/messages/
/var/log/syslog

from the machine where broadcom-wl does not boot.

I also need lspci/lsusb output
Comment 4 Postnikov Dmitry 2013-05-24 15:34:56 MSD
(In reply to comment #1)
> Advisory:
> broadcom-wl was updated in order to be compatible with kernel 3.8
> 
> buildlists:
> https://abf.rosalinux.ru/build_lists/1108400
> https://abf.rosalinux.ru/build_lists/1108401

Take to work... (repo from ABF + kernel 3.8.12)
Comment 5 Postnikov Dmitry 2013-05-25 23:19:03 MSD
Created attachment 1413 [details]
sf(broadcom)32-64.zip

(In reply to comment #3)
> Well, unfortunately there is no additional info about this module in that
> bug, so i will need it here.
> I need a 
> /var/log/dmesg
> /var/log/messages/
> /var/log/syslog
> 
> from the machine where broadcom-wl does not boot.
> 
> I also need lspci/lsusb output

********************
Extended testing report
********************
All files in zip archive
Comment 6 Vladimir Potapov 2013-05-27 11:46:40 MSD
(In reply to comment #4)

> 
> Take to work... (repo from ABF + kernel 3.8.12)
You must also test the old kernel and testing the upgrade from old to new kernel with broadcom
Comment 7 Postnikov Dmitry 2013-05-27 12:12:40 MSD
(In reply to comment #6)
> (In reply to comment #4)
> 
> > 
> > Take to work... (repo from ABF + kernel 3.8.12)
> You must also test the old kernel and testing the upgrade from old to new
> kernel with broadcom

Do you want us to this package broadcom put on old kernel 3.6.10 ?
And this package is under old kernel?
Comment 8 Alexander Burmashev 2013-05-27 12:26:09 MSD
On both systems we do not have broadcom-wl pacakage installed out of the box.
It is required to install it, not update the previous version.
Comment 9 Alexander Burmashev 2013-05-27 12:33:38 MSD
By the way. Broadcom-wl driver should be tested on system, where it was installed previously and worked ok.
Comment 10 Postnikov Dmitry 2013-05-27 12:55:29 MSD
(In reply to comment #9)
> By the way. Broadcom-wl driver should be tested on system, where it was
> installed previously and worked ok.

OK. But it will take some time.
Comment 11 Alexander Burmashev 2013-05-27 13:31:17 MSD
Wait a bit.

Actually you need to check the next thing.
If you did not have broadcom-wl ( and this seem to be the case ) installed on 3.6 kernel and your wifi is working - check what driver is loaded ( lspci -v )
Same for 3.8 kernel

+
Got one more test result.
System with BCM4322 adapter.

32 bit Kernel 3.6.10 + old dkms-broadcom-wl working ok.
64 bit Kernel 3.6.10 + old dkms-broadcom-wl working ok.

Both systems were updated to 3.8.12 kernel, new dracut, systemd AND new broadcom-wl ( from this update request ). BCM4322 still working ok.
Comment 12 Postnikov Dmitry 2013-05-27 13:42:21 MSD
OK. Then do not test.
Comment 13 Vladimir Potapov 2013-05-27 13:45:28 MSD
dkms-broadcom-wl-5.100.82.112-10-rosa2012.1
********************* Advisory **********************
broadcom-wl was updated in order to be compatible with kernel 3.8
*****************************************************
QA Verified
Comment 14 Alexander Burmashev 2013-05-27 13:48:26 MSD
Small note ( in case someonerlsr will publish it, not me ) - this update should be pushed together with 3.8 kernel